Portrait of Lilly Pilly

OK I want to share something with you... I have actually been reading the book, 'The Artist's Way' by Julia Cameron and I'm now up to the second last chapter. For anyone who knows this book, it is actually an amazing course which takes you on a journey (3 months) to discover and recover your creative self, in my case, recovering the artist that was blocked for a very long time. In fact, that is why I started this blog because since I (re)started drawing, I literally have not been able to stop!

But what this course has led me to is this... just recently I finally started to paint. I have always wanted to paint. The funny thing is that the only thing that was stopping me was, in fact, me. Then the dominoes started to fall... there is an amazing local artist, Frank Hodgert, who's work has always inspired me - every exhibition I would longingly stare at his incredible paintings (which always sold...) and think to myself, "If only I could paint like this... one day... maybe?" SO I started to look for painting courses or classes. I hit a few brick walls ie. the courses were too far away or not what I wanted. Then this same artist started coming to my life drawing group, which led to finding out that he ran tutored painting classes AND(!) was holding a portrait painting workshop locally. Too good to be true? Finally it all seemed to be falling into place.

So I went to the first painting class this week and it was amazing. I learnt so much about oil painting from this extraordinary artist in just a couple of hours that it felt like Christmas and I couldn't wait for the next class! I haven't done much painting and especially in oil so learning tricks of the trade from a master who's work I aspire to, is definitely like living a dream. I'm still pinching myself.

So here is the portrait I painted with the help of my new tutor. This baby step seems more like a leap of pure super awe inspiring glee...

Portrait of Lilly Pilly - oil paint on Gesso primed canvas (drawing pad with canvas pages - fantastic idea!)
Its not perfect but not bad for my first attempt at a quick painted portrait in oil. Took about 4 hours ish? Could have kept working on it but didn't want it to look too overworked. Hope to have another painting to post next week (positive thinking...).

Comments

Popular Posts